Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tip of the Day: Hand-Tossed Ice Cream

In yesterday's post about the most remembered Father's Day gift I've ever given my husband, I noted that I would be giving out the recipe for the ice-cream perfection I was able to serve up on the mountain.  Since I am a woman of my word, I share that recipe with you now.

 I originally got this recipe for an activity with the kids.  They love to help out with this fun summertime treat.

Hand-Tossed Ice Cream

3/4 c. whole milk, (I use 2 %)
1 c. whipping cream, (I use heavy cream)
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
(2) 1-qt. sealable plastic bags
(2) 1-gal. sealable plastic bags
6-8 lbs. crushed ice
2/3 c. rock salt, (if I don't have this and want to make it right away, I just use regular salt, but it takes a lot!)

Place first 4 ingredients into qt. baggie- push out air as you seal bag.  Place this bag in other qt. bag; seal.
Cover bottom of gal. baggie with ice.  Sprinkle 2-3 Tbsp. of salt over ice.  Place double-bagged ice cream mix on top of ice.  Layer more ice and salt around ice cream mixture until large bag is full; seal.  Place sealed bag inside another gallon baggie; seal.  Take the "ice-cream-ball" outside and toss it back and forth for 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove wrappings and unseal bags, then serve.

Makes about 2 cups, (four 1/2 c. servings.)

You can also put the "ball" in a can with a lid and roll it back and forth to mix. Or, as read in my previous post, you can put the "ball" in saddle bags and ride for about an hour.

To get different flavors of ice cream, (although the vanilla is fabulous,) just add the desired ingredients with the first four initial ingredients.  I added crushed Oreo cookies on the top of the ingredients before I sealed the first baggie and my Oreo ice cream was perfect.  You could also add cut up fruit, chocolate syrup, or any other flavor you like your ice cream to be.

Extra Bonus Tip: If you are doing this with kids, sometimes their attention span is not long enough to throw the  "ball" for the whole time.  Be prepared to take over, or just serve the ice cream early.  It may still be a thin consistency, but it will still taste great!

Extra, Extra Bonus Tip:  If you are doing this in the winter in your front room, make sure your baggies are higher quality because they may start to leak or just get an outright hole in them while you are tossing them to each other, resulting in a very wet, salty mess on your couch! (Experience talking☺!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes my day!

BlogWithIntegrity.com

I'm Dreaming of...Blog Hops


”Katherines
Photobucket
#ff63e0
Photobucket
A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop
Crazy About My Baybah
rrsahm