Monday, February 21, 2011

Above and Beyond: Sacrifice

Our lesson in Relief Society yesterday was on sacrifice.  I thought I'd share some of the things I learned and thought about. 

The most touching part of the lesson was when the ladies shared stories from the scriptures where sacrifices were made.  Some of those stories mentioned were about the prophet, Abinadi, Emma Smith, the Willie Handcart Company, and the three young men who carried most of the company across the Sweetwater River, (see my February 7 post for details on that one,) Abraham and Isaac, Ruth and Naomi, Lehi and his family, and Joseph Smith. 

As we were discussing the incredible sacrifices made by each of these people, the question came up, "Would we be willing to sacrifice our home, life, and family for the gospel?"  Quite a question to think about.

I believe we already answered that once in the great council in Heaven.  When we had to make a choice as to what side we would be on, all of us here on this Earth courageously took a stand with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  We were aware of the challenges and temptations, the heartache and pain we would experience in this mortal life, but we accepted that and willingly agreed to the sacrifices we would have to make. 

We may never be called on the give up our homes or families, but if we are going to return to live in the Celestial Kingdom, we have to be WILLING to.  Is our faith that strong?  If the prophet asked us to pack up and leave our homes tomorrow, would we walk away from jobs, worldly possessions, friends, and possibly family to follow that admonition?

I think this question gives us a scale to rate our faithfulness on.  We were strong enough to answer YES at one time, are we still that strong? 

Heavenly Father held his choicest spirits for these latter days.  That tells me that many of us will have that strength to stand up for what we believe, even if it means great sacrifices.  We will go "above and beyond" to insure our return to our Father in Heaven and live eternally with our families, and that's my ultimate goal.
http://www.mormon.org/

1 comment:

  1. I know you would have answered yes. That is one thing I love, respect and admire about you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes my day!

BlogWithIntegrity.com

I'm Dreaming of...Blog Hops


”Katherines
Photobucket
#ff63e0
Photobucket
A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop
Crazy About My Baybah
rrsahm