Thursday, February 24, 2011

Everything I Learned, I Learned in Kindergarten...and Then Re-learned as a Mom!

English 212:  Ah, the English language, proclaimed to be one of the toughest languages to learn.  Perhaps if we had a child teach us, it would make it simpler, or at least more entertaining.

Probably one of the first songs many of us start singing to our little cherubs is the "ABC Song".  Almost before my kids could speak, they "knew" their ABC's, thanks to this song.  It wasn't until my fourth child that I realized that what I was teaching and what my children were hearing were two different things.

...L, and N, O, P....  My kids didn't even know there was an M in the alphabet until they got in kindergarten!

Once they finally learn the whole alphabet, we moved on to sounds.  Some of my earlier talkers have learned to speak before they were able to properly make the letter sounds with their tongue.  This brings about words you can't actually find in the dictionary.  When my 3-year-old would come to me and say, "Mom, I weally, weally wuv you!  Youw the bestest Mom in the whole wold!," my heart would melt.  Now, Webster may have written a dictionary, but if he would have consulted a Mother, some of the most beautiful words in the non-English language would have been added.

As my little ones begin to increase their vocabulary, they think it's their turn to start reading stories to me.  There are those certain books that you've read to them often enough, they can say them word for word, and even turn the pages in the right spots!  The ones I love the most are stories that they know the basic concept of, but make up the story line.

 Who knew that the spider that sat beside Miss Muffet was really her pet and she ran away to get the spider some cottage cheese?  I've also learned when Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall and cracked, a chick jumped out and ran away.

And so, even though C-A-T doesn't start with the letter A and a "balden" eagle doesn't really exist, I'll cherish forever my little scholars and all they teach me about this "goodest" job in the "wold": MOTHERHOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes my day!

BlogWithIntegrity.com

I'm Dreaming of...Blog Hops


”Katherines
Photobucket
#ff63e0
Photobucket
A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop
Crazy About My Baybah
rrsahm