Thursday, February 3, 2011

Everything I Learned, I Learned in Kindergarten...and Then Re-learned as a Mom!

Art 102:  One of the most interesting parts of art class was the self-portrait segment.  If this is a teacher's idea of improving one's image of themselves, I have to question their angle.

 Looking back at my progression as a self-proclaimed budding artist, I take a look at the well-named stick figure.  I knew that if I drew in big eyes and long hair with feathered bangs, the likeness to my own real self was amazingly accurate.  Maybe I didn't notice I had two extra fingers on my left hand and one missing finger on my right, (or maybe I knew I would need extra fingers, and arms for that matter, to become a mother).  Whatever the reason, thankfully I got past that stage and moved on to more realistic likenesses. 

The older I got, the more detail I added; things such as eyelashes, (seven on each eye), and ears, (can we say Dumbo?), flat feet, (with clubfoot ankles), and toes, (the same size as my ears).

Regardless of my resemblance to any of these self-portraits, I never quit running home to show off the latest picture of me.

My kid's gallery of self-portraits has followed surprisingly close to my own.  Thankfully, the feathered bangs are a thing of the past, (they were so hard to get just right), but the stick bodies holding up the beach ball-size heads have the most beautiful blue eyes and long hair on them.  They must be my girls.  And those club feet crammed into a pair of boots with perfect ears sticking out from under a cowboy hat must be my boys. 

It's taken thirty years, but I'm again starting to see the resemblance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes my day!

BlogWithIntegrity.com

I'm Dreaming of...Blog Hops


”Katherines
Photobucket
#ff63e0
Photobucket
A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop
Crazy About My Baybah
rrsahm