Thursday, March 10, 2011

Everything I Learned, I Learned in Kindergarten...and Then Re-learned as a Mom!

Medicine 225:  Remember the days of skinned up elbows and knees, bruised shins, stubbed toes, bumped heads, hang nails, and paper cuts?  If you're a Mom, you're probably thinking, "My child experienced all of those yesterday."

When I was little, I would limp, scoot, or run to my own Mom.  She would kiss the sore spot better, give me a smile with a wink to assure me all was well, and off I'd go, cured until the next mishap.

As I got older, the frequency of my bruises and blisters decreased, but when I did fall victim to one of the possible maladies of youth,  Mom's kiss got replaced by Neosporin and a bandaid.

When did I lose my faith in the Mother's kiss?  The once miraculous power found in a single kiss had regretably and unknowingly been layed to rest... until January 19, 1999: the day I brought my first little boy into the world.

Although my family makes our share of runs to the doctor's office, the emergency room, and the pharmacy, I've re-learned the power of a single kiss to heal any ailment.  What a feeling of power and happiness it brings when the screams stop, the crying subsides, the limp disappears, and the wound becomes forgotten.  With that little show of love, the world gets brighter. 

Yesterday, Brooklyn, my 1-year-old, was sitting on the counter in the bathroom, (where she always sits to "help" me put on my makeup), when she began dropping things like curling irons, brushes, hairspray, and mouthwash onto the floor.  With great precision, the 3/4 full mouthwash bottle landed on my toenail.  I let out a howl and gave Brooklyn "the look".  She reached towards my throbbing toe and started blowing kisses to it. 

Hmmm... it really did work!  My toe was instantly forgotten in the precious moment my baby reminded me of something I knew once upon a time and then re-learned as a Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes my day!

BlogWithIntegrity.com

I'm Dreaming of...Blog Hops


”Katherines
Photobucket
#ff63e0
Photobucket
A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop
Crazy About My Baybah
rrsahm