Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tip of the Day: Make Your Own Mixes

When you're running a household, saving money is usually done a few cents here and a few cents there.  Over time, however, this really starts to add up. 

One way I have found to save money is to make my own mixes instead of buying them pre-made at the store.  I am sharing the recipes for the mixes that I use most often.  My family couldn't tell the difference when I changed over to these homemade mixes and they love all of them. 


Hot Chocolate Mix

3 T. cocoa
1 c. sugar
3 1/4 c. powdered milk

Mix all ingredients together and store in airtight container.  To make hot chocolate, put 1/3 c. mix in regular size mug, add hot water to top.  Stir well.



Baking Mix (compares to Bisquik)

26 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. baking powder
3 T. salt
2 T. cream of tartar
1 T. baking soda
4 2/3 c. dry milk
7 c. shortening (3 lb. can)

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.  Add one half of the shortening, mix well with electric mixer.  Add rest of shortening, mix well.  Store up to 6 months in sealed container in cool place.  (I usually half this mix.)



Homemade Ranch Dressing

2 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. Accent
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 c. buttermilk (may use slightly more or less to get right consistency.)



Onion Seasoning Mix

4 tsp. instant beef bouillon granules
8 tsp. dried, minced onion
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. bon appetit seasoning

Mix and store in cool, dry place.  Use within 6 months.  Equal to one package onion soup mix.



Granola

2 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. rolled wheat
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 tsp. salt
5 T. brown sugar

1/4 c. hot water
1/4 c. oil
5 T. honey
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix 1st six ingredients.  Then, mix liquid ingredients and toss over grains.  On cookie sheet, bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.  Chop up when it comes out or will clump.

My family eats this plain or I mix it with nuts and dried fruit for trail mix.  It also tastes good as a cereal with milk on it.

For the rolled wheat and the wheat germ, I just use my little wheat grinder and grind the wheat to varying degrees of fineness.

Bonus Time-Saving Tip:  In addition to the recipes listed above, I also mix only the dry ingredients of pancakes and some cookie recipes. I put the dry mix in a baggie, label it, list the needed ingredients to add later, and then baking instructions if applicable.   This saves me time when I decide to make these things because I only have to add the wet ingredients and I don't have to look up the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these Melanie. I will be using them for sure!!
    Two dry mixes that I don't know how I ever lived without are a basic cookie mix and a "cream of" soup mix (this is used in place of any cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup in recipes that call for it as an ingredient).
    Let me know if you want either of them. You may already have something like these, but thought I'd mention it. HUGE MONEY SAVERS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for premaking and labeling. I always make pancakes as I go and sometimes it seems like it takes so much time. But, I do all of my stuff whole wheat and the whole wheat flour can go bad quicker, so I would have to watch out for that! Thanks for the granola recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing. It makes my day!

BlogWithIntegrity.com

I'm Dreaming of...Blog Hops


”Katherines
Photobucket
#ff63e0
Photobucket
A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop
Crazy About My Baybah
rrsahm